Patti Purls

Wednesday, August 30, 2006


Prime Rib or Brioche BodiceLook at the beautiful colors of the Schaffer "Miss Priss" yarn and the color has its own name that I forget. This is the brioche or prime rib stitch. It makes a wonderful textured rib that doesn't curl. This is another pattern from the Summer 2006 Interweave Knits. After an entire evening of unsuccessful starts on this pattern I started rummaging through books trying to find something somebody once wrote about this pesky stitch. I KNEW I had seen it, just couldn't remember where. Then, there it was. In Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman, sympathetic detailed information on making this stitch work! And, work it did. You are looking at one evening's (the NEXT evening's) work.

Oh, the blue and white socks are done! Successfully, too. I look forward to wearing them, if not to the weather that requires them. For my next pair of socks I will try the Magic Loop Method. The brioche top is to keep me busy until some Plymouth Galway comes in to my LYS for my Weasley Sweater. Every librarian and Harry Potter Fan needs one!

I really needed a successful project. Oh, yes, I made the tissue box cover for the bathroom but back in July (those halcyon days) I had so many very successful projects that I was quite stopped in my knitting tracks by Icarus and those red mitts. Oh, Icarus and I need to figure out what to do. I told myself I liked the substitute yarn on the last lace chart. I really thought I did until I saw it in the strong daylight. Now, would I ever wear the shawl in strong daylight? Or is it something for soft evenings?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • The brioche bodice actually turned out quite nicely, but since I made it in wool it is a toasty tank top that is best suited with a blazer in winter and in storage for summer. I'll post a picture soon.

    Hmmm, armhole decreases, I remember this: If I had not read what Elizabeth Zimmerman wrote about brioche I would never have gotten that tank off the ground. Look in Knitting Without Tears for her explanation of the pattern stitch and THEN when the decreases hit for the armholes you must dream up a way to make the pattern pick up in the right spot. I don't recall that the printed pattern was any help to me there, but I did have to make up either a selvedge or something for the stitch pattern to come out right.

    I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I will post a picture this weekend.

    By Blogger Patti, at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home